This pattern has been in the works for quite a while. I have started the shaped cowl journey with Double Knit yarn and actually published the fingering weight version of the pattern first! I have made my first cowl in Double Knit yarn in 2020 and immediately deicided that it need some improvement to fit better. And that is how the Simple Shaped Cowl was born! I added shaping to the knitted cowls and LOVED it so much that I have now knitted 5 of them in total! Oh no wait – I knit 6 of them if you count the cotton version I made with drawstrings…
What makes this cowl so special?
Well the shaping and the length, of course! This cowl is designed to be smaller at the top and wider at the bottom hem so that it lays nicely around the neck for ultimate warmth. It is long enough to be pulled up over the head to act as a hat and cowl – all in one – keeping your ears warm AND your neck! I wear mine all the time, especially when walking the dog and love the fact that I can just pull it up when it is cold and windy to cover my ears and I do not need to wear a hat!
You can now knit your own Simple Shaped Cowl in Double Knit yarn!
I also added into the pattern the details of how I knit the cowls in the Elle Pure Gold Double Knit 100% acrylic yarn even though the pattern was written for the new Elle Fifty 50 Double Knit yarn. I have to say I love my cowls equally and would definitely want to knit a 100% wool version in the future.
To knit this pattern you would need the following:
- 396 m ( 132g ) DK weight Yarn ( Sample was knit with Elle Fifty 50 Double Knit – 50% Acrylic & 50% Superwash Wool in the colour 050 Dark Jeans – 150m per 50g ball)
- 3.5 mm Circular needles ( total length 61cm – I used 13 cm Chiaogoo interchangeable tips with a 35cm cord)
- 4 mm Circular needles – of the same length
- 55cm cord – Optional (You can change to a longer cord if you choose to but it is totally possible to knit the cowl on the shorter cable )
- Lightbulb Stitch markers to mark every increase round
- 4 stitch markers, 1 of them must be distinctive to mark the BOR
- Scissors and a yarn needle to weave in ends
Sizes: One Size (measured flat)
26m wide at the top, 40 cm wide at the bottom hem and 50 cm long
Gauge: 19 sts x 28 rounds for 10 x 10 cm after blocking on 4mm needles.
You can get your copy of the pattern in any one of the following places: (just click on your preferred shop to follow the link!)
You can also get a 15% discount in any one of these shops until Sunday the 30th of July by using the code: COZYCOWL
May this pattern also bring you loads of knitting joy and keep you warm and cozy for many years to come!